Nutritious Supe

During my month as Clinic Supe, I work on a quality improvement project to create a dot phrase for nutrition counseling referrals: .TCNUTRITION.

I started by doing a Google Map search for nutritionists and dietitians. Then I looked up their business websites, emailed, and/or called to learn more about them. For instance, do they treat both children and adults? What kind of insurance do they accept, if any? Do they espouse a particular philosophy or have a specialization? Finally, I created the dot phrase with the details I would want to know if I were referring a patient for "nutrition" (~look between the tildas~).

If you try the dot phrase yourself, you'll see that the list runs from more conventional, allopathic approaches thought Health At Every Size to "holistic" foodways and naturopathy. I was conflicted about including alternative practitioners but realize that not all of us share the same beliefs, and neither do our patients. The listings at the top are covered by insurance, while those at the bottom are not. If your patient has diabetes, check out the UPMC Lion Diabetes Centers in Forest Hills and McKeesport. There's a local Jenny Craig, as well as a "Bariatric Weight Loss Center" in our area that does weight-loss medications but not surgery. I have indicated whether they treat children or not.

Finally, one thing to know is that Registered Dietitians (RDs) are more highly regulated than "nutritionists," who may or may not have any particular training. Certified Nutrition Specialists typically (CNS) and Licensed Dietitian/Nutritionists (LDNs) practice mainstream science, whereas members of the Federation of Nutritional Therapy Practitioners (FNTP) do not.

~ * ~

Soup kitchen
"The soup kitchen: Cooking in a labour camp, Western Front, during World War I. This photograph shows four men cooking and drinking soup from one of the army outside catering boilers. They are all probably members of the South African Native Labour Contingent (SANLC) who were recruited to work in a non-military capacity on the Western Front as part of the Labour Corps. When the SANLC were recruited, the units tended to be organised on the basis of their homeland tribe or region. In part this was to avoid problems from traditional tribal feuds, but it also reflects the fear of the South African government that the different native groups would combine against the existing white rule." National Library of Scotland, as found on Flickr, original: digital.nls.uk/74549612.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Supe dumplings (and knee pain)

Keeping Good Company with Mike O. Plasma

Wh-wh-wh-whiteboard!